Online Teaching Requirements
As we transitioned to the Alternative Delivery Model, prerequisites for teaching online classes were temporarily relaxed because of the extraordinary circumstances we faced as a community. Moving forward, in order to maintain CLC’s emphasis on offering high quality online courses it is crucial that we refocus our efforts accordingly. Below you will find the online teaching requirements for the 2020-21 academic year.
For Fall 2020, faculty teaching "Online-Anytime":
- Because it is extremely important to student success for faculty to have knowledge of online pedagogy, online course design and the experience of being an online student, the TLETC strongly encourages any faculty member slated to teach online for Fall 2020 (who has not already done so) to enroll in the Illinois Online Network (ION) Overview of Online Instruction course which runs from June 1-July 25. This 8-week online course supports faculty in learning how to design and deliver online instruction while also providing the experience of being an online student. Please contact Patty McAnally (firstname.lastname@example.org) for registration details.
- For any faculty member new to teaching online at CLC, the TLETC has created an Online Teaching Experience Survey for faculty to complete. Academic divisions will take the information from this survey to review past online teaching experience, professional development in online instruction and experience with online pedagogical techniques, Canvas and other technology tools. This will allow for consistent review among divisions and will be accessible by all deans and associate deans, as well as TLETC members.
Beginning in Spring 2021, we will resume our previously established CLC requirements for teaching online. These include:
- Knowledge of LMS Platform (Canvas)
- Overview of Online Pedagogy (short, module-based CLC course)
- Overview of Online Instruction (8-week online ION course)
Additionally, given the college’s focus on student success and CLC’s previous and current efforts in this area, we will be exploring the development of a model to ensure high quality online instruction, based on best practice and similar to those seen at our institutional peers. We look forward to keeping you updated on these efforts.
Updated May 12, 2020 7:55pm